You’re not looking for just anyone. You need the one. But this isn’t Tinder; this is for the deadline, the picture capturing all the emotions of a tragedy, the guide to get you through a war zone.
So how do you choose from the crowd? That’s where the ‘HackPack Recommended’ feature comes in.
We certify select members as HP Recommended, signifying that these are our most trusted and members. These are the professionals who we would jump at the opportunity to work with, and we feel confident that you would want to work with them too. They are at the top of your search with the little green sign of approval!
What makes someone ‘HP Recommended?
These are members whose work we follow, personally know and whose references match the following criteria:
- Writing Quality: Very little editing is required after the journalist sends in the content.
- Fact Checking: The journalist verifies information and sources.
- Sources and Background: The journalist has strong expertise in the fields they work in and have access to the necessary experts.
- Objectivity: The journalist strives to present the facts, not pure opinion.
- Deadlines: The journalist does everything in their power to meet deadlines and/or ensures that the editor is informed in advance of possible changes.
- Urgency: The journalist promptly responds to correspondence.
- Language Fluency: The fixer is fluent in their professional languages and can competently interpret both ways.
- Local Connections: The fixer can organize interviews with key people in their area.
- Local knowledge: The fixer properly communicates local cultural customs to ensure the job gets done smoothly.
- Safety: The fixer looks after the safety and security of their client(s) in diverse or hostile work environments.
- Professionalism: The fixer exemplifies professionalism and is a pleasure to work with.
- Confidentiality: The fixer keeps stories and identities anonymous as required.
- Foresight: They anticipate where the shot will be, and the types of shots required for the desired result.
- Urgency: They get work back to the editor promptly.
- Technical skill: Their shots meet the highest standards of quality.
- Professionalism: They study the story’s background, are punctual, and are a pleasure to work with.
- Editorial Influence: The editor seeks to tell the story objectively and with clear writing fitting the publication’s voice and style.
- Payment: The editor ensures journalists are paid fully and within committed timelines.
- Professionalism: The editor responds promptly and is a pleasure to work with.
- Concern for journalists: The editor considers journalists’ safety and well-being when sending them on assignments.
- Expertise: They have in-depth knowledge and great insight into their respective fields of study.
- Colour: They are candid and provide interesting commentary, insightful information and usable quotes.
- Urgency: They respond promptly when contacted and understand the demanding nature of the news cycle.